New Library Offers More Options

This year, major changes to the space formerly known as the library were unveiled. The new Learning Commons features more space for students and a new coffee shop set up.

Beyond the surface changes in carpet and general setup, new tables and chairs on wheels were added to the open library space. Librarian Debi O’Brien emphasized the benefits of having mobile furniture.

“Any group that wants to get together can just take the tables and get together,” librarian Debi O’Brien said. “It’ll be great for… project based learning. That old library furniture was so heavy and so hard to move, and this is just a dream.”

Several of the tables also double as whiteboards, and there is now more soft seating around the open space.

“I think it will just be more inviting,” O’Brien said. “I think it will be easier for kids to use.”

Students have been enjoying the space in the morning and during some class periods as laptop rollout continues.

“I will definitely come in here to do work now,” junior Heidi Tapko said. “In the other one, I felt like it was too crowded.”

The Learning Commons also includes space for the DECA Green Bean coffee shop. It’s a step up from the makeshift bookshelf they sold coffee from last year.

English teacher Jordan Baranowski felt it was a really great improvement and feels more like an actual coffee shop. The coffee shop includes everything an actual coffee shop would, such as a bar and TV’s.

“I love the Green Bean because it feels like a real cafe and the library is really nice because it looks so put together,” sophomore Maya Burton said.

While some students have been visiting the shop in the morning, others feel that it might not be the right choice for the Learning Commons.

“It’s a waste of money. Simple. Most kids don’t even drink coffee,” sophomore Jadyn Smith said.

While the Learning Commons have already gotten a major face lift, more change is still on the horizon. O’Brien said that a circulation desk, additional TVs and white boards are on the way.

“Probably by the middle of next week we’ll be really running the way it’s supposed to run,” O’Brien said.