One New Message

There is a new cell phone policy at Shawnee Mission South, and everyone seems to be happy about it.

“I really like the new policy because you can check up on texts without getting in trouble,” sophomore Ben Bernard said.

According to the new rules, students are allowed to use cell phones during passing periods, lunch, and before and after school. However, though the new rules are considerably more lenient, the consequences have also increased in proportion.

“There are no more freebies,” Principal Joe Gilhaus said.

The new penalties for being caught using a cell phone in class include requiring parents to pick up cell phones for the first offense, and ISS or some form of detention for repeat offenders.

This is a distinct change from last year’s policy, which stated that any administrator or teacher who saw phones in the hallway or classroom during school hours had the right to take them away.

Last year, attempts to improve attendance almost resulted in a new cell phone policy as a reward. This however, was not the reason for this year’s change. The decision was made because of the disruptions cell phones were causing during class.

Latin teacher James Leek, who used to supervise ISS, said most of the people were in there for using their phones in school. Now students can use their phones in the hallways or at lunch without getting into trouble.

“Once you get a text message you just want to check it right away, and I have enough self control that I can wait and check it in the halls,” junior Raj Selveraj said.

Progress appears to have been made considering the number of confiscated cell phones. At this point last year there were 44 cell phones taken away, but this year there have only been six.

Bernard doesn’t think the new rules can last. “We have a lot more freedom, and I definitely think we will take advantage of it,” he said.

Gilhaus on the other hand thinks that policy can last for a long time and is much more confident about the policy’s permanence. He said,

“Our plan is for the long term, I hope that the students will be mature enough for it.”

By Griffin Zeller