the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Behind the Scenes

Essentially the backbone of the student body, STUCO is dedicated to making sure each student’s opinion is voiced. At their monthly meetings, STUCO discusses upcoming events as well as brainstorms ideas for other events that they could add to the agenda. However, with school dances, the canned food drive, the blood drive, project grad and other annual traditions, STUCO struggles to find the time.
“We have so many ideas and so many things we want to do,” Vice President Elise Haas said, “but sometimes don’t have time or support.” Struggling to fit more events on the agenda isn’t the only challenge that STUCO faces. “It’s hard to know what the student body wants,” senior Student Council Representative John Hildebrandt said. The executive board is there to help the organization run smoothly and get the job done despite these challenges.
“We have an incredible group of girls running the show,” sponsor Nicole Leifer said.
The executive board consists of President Erica Lang, Vice President Elise Haas, Secretary Caroline Busch and Treasurer Hannah Johnson. Along with the executive board there are STUCO representatives, and each class has a set of officers. According to the members of STUCO, their time is
well spent. “I’m excited to be at school and I love South, and I want everyone else to also,” Haas said.

The source of the school’s Raider pride, the exec board of Pep Club meets every week and spends countless hours planning events to increase school spirit and help the student body show their support for South.
The club has about 650 members and a board of 13 pep execs. The execs are in charge of planning the events that the rest of Pep Club is involved in and showing support for all Raiders.
“It’s our job to get everyone out there,” senior pep exec Gabe Alaniz said.
By this, Alaniz meant that the club is currently trying to increase attendance at school functions other than just football and basketball games. For him, supporting all of his classmates is rewarding.
“It’s cool to see how much they appreciate our support,” he said.
While he sees the rewards, in his opinion, raising support is the main challenge that pep execs face.
“I wish we could work towards more student involvement,” Alaniz said.
While Alaniz’s favorite part of Pep Club is increasing spirit by cheering on his classmates, other execs have different favorite ways of bringing out Raider pride. Sophomore Kelly O’Connor, for example, likes being a part of the pep assemblies.
“[The assemblies] are some of my favorite things to go to at school,” O’Connor said.
So whether you like the pep assemblies or just showing up to support your fellow classmates, Pep Club has something that every Raider can enjoy.