Soccer Highlights

Soccer+Highlights

South faced opponent Shawnee Mission West Thursday, Oct. 6. West was first to put away a goal causing frustration among the team, leaving the score 1-0 going into halftime. South fired back in the second half as junior David Leichty put away South’s first goal. West responded right away with another goal to take the lead. Junior Adam Alfaro put in another goal to tie the game. The score remained 2-2 throughout most of the second half with no desire from either team to go into overtime.

“I was exhausted that game and had no mind set of an overtime match,” senior Nash Medlock said.

With 17 seconds to go South pushed up the field, and was rewarded a throw in up towards the goal. The clock was ticking down as Leichty threw a hard long ball into the box. Five, four, three, two… GOAL! With two seconds left on the clock, Medlock put away the third goal to send the Raiders home with a win.

“It’s always fun to get a victory in that fashion after having to fight back during the entire game,” Leichty said.

After a cheerful and satisfied head coach Travis Gatewood extended his thoughts on the game, the players were greeted by a roaring and excited fan section. Senior captain Kendal Stanton couldn’t be more pleased with the win, “it was exhilarating.”

Record: 7-5-2

Most Memorable Moment: China Buffet, Gator Race, Tour de Overland Park

Stand-out Players: sophomore Will Skoog, junior David Leichty, and senior Kendal Stanton

Upcoming Games and What to Expect: Olathe East, Topeka West—We want to finish strong so that we have a good record in order to host a regional game. — Travis Gatewood