Raiders Remember

Raiders+Remember

Countless students have walked through these hallways during their high school career and excelled athletically, but a few have stood out from the rest. The Shawnee Mission South Raider Hall of Fame welcomed three new members at halftime of the boys varsity basketball game Jan. 27 against Shawnee Mission West. Ted Stealey, Steve Smith and Brett Steiner were all inductees and each one of them had the credentials to back it up according to Athletic Director John Johnson.

Stealey, class of 1969, is remembered for his performance on the football field.

“He was the very first big time football star at Shawnee Mission South,” Johnson said.

Stealey was named First Team All-League and First Team All-State while attending South.

“As one of his coaches described him, he was ‘Darren Sproles before we had Darren Sproles,’” Johnson said.       Stealey, like Sproles, was a smaller running back who had quick feet and was known for avoiding tackles. Sproles currently plays for the New Orleans Saints. The two backs had similar running styles and both attended K-State.

Stealey strived to have a “never give up” attitude which earned him a full ride to play football at Kansas State University. However, Stealey’s favorite memory from South didn’t occur on the gridiron.

“One of the football coaches had a study hall and he sat me next to this really cute girl,” Stealey said. “I’ve been married 38 years to her.”

The other two inductees are remembered for bringing state championships to South as a dynamic one-two punch. Steiner and Smith were Cross Country and Track runners during their high school years. Both athletes graduated in 1980 and they pushed each other throughout their seasons side by side.

“We worked together; that’s what made it easy,” Steiner said. “Trying to keep up with Steve made me faster.”

Despite impressive accomplishments and records set in the high school environment, Steiner’s most remarkable achievement was winning the National Cross Country Championship his senior year in San Diego.

“Winning that event is what really put me on a national scene,” Steiner said.

Senior and member of the 2011 Cross Country state championship team, Michael Gawlick described some of Steiner and Smith’s records as “untouchable.”

The Hall of Fame ceremony is a new tradition at South. This year was the school’s third annual Hall of Fame Night. Three members have been added each year, each one with his or her unique story. A committee of 11 members made up of current teachers, current administrators, past teachers and community members is responsible for deciding who is inducted. Other than Dr. Johnson and Principal Joe Gilhaus the names of committee members remain anonymous.

According to Johnson, the Hall of Fame ceremony is more than just a plaque and a place on a shelf for the inductees. It serves as a chance to have a welcoming reunion back to the school. They get to catch up with old classmates, old friends and past acquaintances.

Previously inducted members include All-State Quarterback and 1973 Kansas State Football Champion, Steve Little; Track and Field athlete and 1980 Kansas Athlete of the Year, Clint Johnson; Kansas 6A Girls Basketball leading scorer and 1995 Kansas State Champion, Kate (Benson) Allen; two time Kansas State Champion Head Football Coach, John Davis; four time Kansas State Champion Head Baseball Coach, Bill McDonald; and three time Kansas State Wrestling Champion, Scott Luschen.

“The level of excellence for each of the athletes and people we have is hard to distinguish one to the other who’s got the best story,” Johnson said. “There are a lot of good athletes that came through this school.”