the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Swoope there it is

The crowd chants, “Swoope there it is!” as number 32 weaves through the defense, and hits yet another three. The game against

Shawnee Mission East was only his third as a Raider, but he put up a total of 20 points, and made it seem effortless. Freshman Dainan Swoope has made a name for himself through his performances in recent varsity basketball games. This wasn’t his first big game, but he admits it had a unique feel to it.

“It was loud and crazy, but I knew how it was from being in the stands. It felt great to beat East by that much,” Swoope said.

With Swoope’s help, the Raiders beat East 55-31 and improved their record to 4-1, with impressive wins over league opponents, including Shawnee Mission East and North. Even though the team makes it seem easy, the wins haven’t come without hard work and excessive preparation.

“We usually go over our plays, and discuss our next opponent,” Swoope said. “If we mess up at all, there is a lot of running. It’s not easy, but definitely worth it.”

Throughout the season, Swoope has showed skills in every aspect of the game, especially his shooting ability and ball handling. Even so, Swoope realizes the importance of improvement.

“I need to work on handling the pressure. I need to get used to the atmosphere,” he said.

Head Coach Brett McFall expressed his positive thoughts about the freshman starter.

“He has become a consistent shooter. Anyone

can be a good shooter; it’s just a matter of being consistent. On the other hand he needs to work on handling the pressure. He is still a freshman, and he will obviously grow into it.”

After sinking one of his multiple threes during the East game, the crowd chanted, “He’s a freshman!” He’s a freshman!” This is part of the crazy atmosphere Dainan is still getting used to. Along with the freshman chant, the crowd created their own chant for Swoope during the East game.

“I think it’s pretty funny. I’ve had at least seven people say they made up the ‘Swoope there it is chant’,” he said.

Many see the similarities between Swoope’s style of play, and Will Spradling’s. Spradling graduated in 2010, and is currently a sophomore playing basketball at Kansas State University.

“They both shoot very well and they both pass very well. Will’s more of a point guard, and Dainan is more of a scoring guard,” Coach McFall said.

Despite the fact he is only a freshman, Swoope has played a major role in the team’s reoccurring success. In six games Swoope has averaged 11 points, including 16 against Shawnee Mission North. On top of his high scoring performances, he has played exceptional defense so far, compiling five steals against North. The Raiders have been playing all around great basketball this season, and with the help of freshman Dainan Swoope they are working hard for a Sunflower, and hopefully, a state title.