Speaking Up

The fear of public speaking tops many lists of phobia surveys, but don’t expect to find any glossophobics in Room 362. Instead, over 50 students who participate in the forensics program can be found intentionally practicing to speak in front of a group.

Forensics is a form of competitive speaking where students choose a piece of writing and present it in front of a judge. If the contestants do well, they present the piece in front of three judges in the final rounds. Events range from the theatrical like Duet Acting, to political events like Senate Student Congress.

In a recent forensics tournament, freshman Riley Brennan won first place in Poetry, Dara McGreal won first place in Senate and sixth place in Extemporaneous Speaking, and the duo of Keith Monaghan and Mason Owen won third place in Public Forum Debate.

“Everyone is working really hard and trying really hard, and the hard work is really paying off with a lot of top ten finishes,” Mason Owen said.

One change the forensics team is adapting to this year is a new coach.

“Being a new coach this year has been stressful, overwhelming, and exciting all at the same time, and it’s been great,” Coach Natalie Ashley said.

Owen, a returning member is proud of the team’s performance so far. “The performance this year has been pretty good so far, and I know me and Keith have placed at some highly competitive tournaments,” he said.

To prepare for the meets, forensics members first need to choose a topic. Next they have to write a paper and rehearse in front of the class. Once they finalize their piece, they have to memorize it to perfection for the next meet. According to freshman Tionna Allen, despite preparation, the meets are hectic.

“They are so long and tiring, and very chaotic. When it is your turn though, it just happens really fast,” Allen said.

In addition to hosting a meet the weekend of Feb. 24, the forensics team hopes for successful outcomes at the meets they will compete in the weekend of April 13 at Shawnee Mission East and the state competition at Olathe Northwest May 5.