A Dance to Remember

A Dance to Remember

The night almost every high schooler has waited for is just around the corner: Prom.

“People expect a lot more out of it than other dances because it’s such a big deal. We hope people enjoy it,” junior class vice-president Mary Distefano said.

The theme may come as a surprise to most students. This year there will be no theme. But don’t start to cringing at the thought, STUCO is looking forward to letting students see their new take on the decor of the dance.

“The color scheme and design have never been done before. I guess to describe it would be modern and classy. We’re also doing a lot of stuff that has never been done before. Not having [a theme] gives us a lot more freedom to decorate everything the way we wanted, “ junior class president Meg Horner said.

Besides there being no theme, there aren’t any other major changes with this year’s prom.

“I think a big thing about it is that people never get to see Union Station in that light. People have been there before and walk through it. But during dances they can really appreciate its beauty,” librarian and a junior class sponsor Debi O’Brien said.

Tickets will be sold in the cafeteria from April 23 to May 5 for $30 per person. Tickets will only be sold to upperclassmen, but underclassmen can attend if they are invited by a junior or senior.

Traditionally, Principal Joe Gilhaus presents an assembly focused on making safe choices prior to the dance. Each year different organizations such as RADD, Raiders Against Drinking and Drugs, make an appearance at the assembly to promote good decision making on the night of the dance.

“It’s pretty impactful to have people come and talk about the mistakes they made in the past,” Gilhaus said.

Every year they have different presentations to encourage students to remain sober. Some years speakers come in and talk about how drinking and driving has affected them.

“It should help students make their decisions wisely that night,” senior Anisa Bolen said. “Hearing the different stories of the people who were affected on their prom nights and knowing their lives will never be the same because of the choices they made or someone else