Sports Report

Sports+Report

Last week I wrote about the top 5 college football teams, so to change it up this week I decided to predict the scores of the upcoming NFL games. There are quite a few good matchups to look forward to this weekend, so read up and check back next week to read my next sports column.

Pittsburgh @ Tennessee: 31-17 Pittsburgh

This Thursday night matchup features a struggling Titans team, who’s running game is nearly non-existent. Their defense has had a rough season stopping the pass, and Big Ben and the Steelers have the third ranked pass attack in the NFL. It doesn’t look good for the Titans.

Oakland @ Atlanta: 45-13 Atlanta

There isn’t much to be said about this matchup. The Falcons are undefeated, and the Raiders are starting Carson Palmer at quarterback. How do they even expect to win?

Cincinnati @ Cleveland: 24-21 Cleveland

Even though the Browns haven’t won a game this season, they put up a fight against the Giants. They put up 27 points against a solid defense, and their only problem was stopping the Giants. The Bengals have a one dimensional attack, their run game has been awful lately, and if the Browns want to win they need to shut down AJ Green, who is Andy Dalton’s favorite target.

St. Louis @ Miami: 20-12 Miami

Miami has the best rush defense so far this year, holding teams to under 60 yards per game. Steven Jackson hasn’t been able to get anything going on the ground, and Sam Bradford has had a terrible year. Miami’s offense hasn’t been all that explosive, but they will get it done at home this week and improve to 3-3 on the year.

Indianapolis @ New York Jets: 34-28 Indianapolis

The Colts knocked off the Packers in a huge upset last week, and Andrew Luck looked just as good as he did in college. The Jets offense has been struggling to the point where they almost started Tim Tebow last week. Yes, they are that bad. With the schedule the Colts have for the next few weeks, I could see the colts winning four of their next five games, and improving their record to 6-3.

Detroit @ Philadelphia: 27-20 Philadelphia

Despite Michael Vick’s recent woes, the Eagles have managed to win games with a solid defense. Without a close loss to Pittsburgh the Eagles would be 3-1, but they are still tied with the Giants for the lead in the NFC East. The big factor in this game is LeSean McCoy. He hasn’t been performing well lately, and could use a big game against a solid defense.

Kansas City @ Tampa Bay: 17-6 Tampa Bay

I’m a huge Chiefs fan, but when you don’t even know who will be your starting quarterback this week, it’s hard to believe they will win. Tampa Bay has one of the best run defenses in the game, and with all the turnovers the Chiefs have had, I don’t see them getting into the endzone. Their defense did a great job stopping Joe Flacco and the Ravens offense, so the Buccaneers shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Dallas @ Baltimore: 31-27 Dallas

The Cowboys had a bye week last week, so that means an extra week to prepare their defense for Ray Rice and the Ravens offense. Their defense is already holding opponents to 170 passing yards per game, the best in the league. Tony Romo has been  in sync with Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, racking up an average of nearly 300 yards per game. This game should be interesting, but I see the Cowboys coming out on top.

New England @ Seattle: 24-20 New England

This is possibly the best game of the week, featuring a dynamic offense with the Patriots, and arguably the best defense in the league with the Seahawks. Stevan Ridley has been one of the best backs in the league lately, and if he gets off to a good start on Sunday, it will open up the passing game for Tom Brady.

New York Giants @ San Francisco: 25-21 San Francisco

This game is a rematch of last year’s’ NFC Championship game, which ended bitterly for the 49’ers. This year, led by their phenomenal defense, San Francisco has gone 4-1 in their first five games, allowing an average of only 13 points each game. They are undefeated at home, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. The 49’ers were my Super Bowl pick and the beginning of the season, and I’m sticking with them in this Week Six matchup against the Giants.

Minnesota @ Washington: 34-24 Minnesota

Despite RG3’s incredible numbers, the Redskins have still had a tough time winning games. Their two wins came against the Saints and Tampa Bay, two mediocre teams. The Vikings second year quarterback, Christian Ponder, has put up impressive numbers. He has a 95.5 passer rating, one of the best in the league, and has only thrown two interceptions in their five games. The Redskins defense is 31st in the league at stopping the pass, so I expect Ponder to have a good game. Another interesting matchup will be Washington’s young running back, Alfred Morris, going up against a tough Vikings defense, who is only allowing an average of 78 rushing yards per game.

Green Bay @ Houston: 27-21 Houston

Houston is undefeated this season, and possibly the best team in the NFL. They will be going up against last years best team, the Green Bay Packers. This has the potential to be an exciting game, but after the Packers loss to the Colts, I can’t see them beating the Texans.

Denver @ San Diego: 35-17 Denver

This game features two AFC West teams both hungry for a spot in the playoffs. I know its early to be talking about the playoffs, but if the Broncos lose this game, it will be tough to win the division after starting off 2-4. I feel like Peyton Manning will have a big game, and the November woes will begin early for Phillip Rivers and the Chargers.