The Art of Shaving

[dropcap]O[/dropcap]ne of the most routine acts in the lives of (most) high school males is the act of shaving. Most are indifferent to it, some hate it, and almost all are bad at it. Walking down the halls, it’s immediately apparent who takes the maintenance of their facial hair seriously and who does not, and it’s more of a revelation of character than hygiene. A clean-shaven man is a man who has respect, has more credibility in job interviews, and who is successful in society. A man with ragged peach fuzz is just a boy.

Don’t get me wrong; facial hair works. If you can grow a decent beard, go for it. I would recommend staying away from moustaches. But if you aren’t trying for something big, don’t go halfway with the stubble that is left from neglect of shaving and really just amounts to laziness.

“I think that any guy who can grow a decent beard should be proud of it,” sophomore Dominic Madrid said.

And many men can. But if it’s not well-developed, it’s not impressive to anybody.
“If guys can grow enough hair, then it’s fine,” junior Christina DeGraffenreid said. “But if they can’t, it just looks stupid and trashy.”
Many guys simply just don’t care enough about shaving. Some do it without much thought, others abandon any attempts altogether and let their face turn into a confusing eye-sore.

“I could care less about shaving,” junior Lawrence Gardner said. “I do it, but it’s just another part of my routine.”
Many methods of shaving exist today, the majority of which are dull and take the fun out of shaving. But with the right method, shaving can be enjoyable. Yes, enjoyable. If you are using a cheap razor with a can of Gilette, then you will most likely be unable to envision yourself enjoying your shave. However, with the right technique and process, shaving can be performed the way it was meant to be experienced.

First off, get rid of your aerosol can of artificial cream. You need the real stuff. The best products without a doubt come from The Art of Shaving company, which you can order from online, or from the store at the Plaza. There are four scents to choose from. Now before I go on, this process does involve scents. Aromas. Fragrances. And it’s OK to use them as a guy…in the right context. The four scents are Ocean Kelp, Sandalwood, Lavender, and Lemon. There is also an unscented cream for those not so bold.

In order to apply the cream, you need a brush. The best ones are made of badger hair. It doesn’t have to be a high end brush, but for essential shaving the right brush is important.

Finally: the razor. Disposable razors are trashy (get it?). I’ve found that using a double edge safety razor is a good choice for high school guys. Some are expensive, but you can get a decent one for around thirty bucks, which will pay itself off in the end, since it is non-disposable. And the sound of every hair being sliced off the skin with each short stroke is indescribably satisfying. I use a Merkur 163, a good all-around, durable razor. All you will need to do to maintain it is switch the blades every six to eight shaves, but razor blades are extremely cheap.

Using these tools, the perfect shave is not far from reality. Simply lather, shave, rinse, and repeat. For the best shave, it’s good to take two or three passes, from different angles each time. Shaving doesn’t have to be just another part of getting ready for school. It can be one of the most enjoyable parts of your day.