My Senior Angel

It was a scene right out of a movie: I, the lowly freshman, was standing in the lunch line on the very first day of High School with no clue what I was doing. The cafeteria was bustling with strange noises, loud music, bizarre smells: I felt as if I was thrust into the Savannah at feeding time. All of it was new and overwhelming to me. In line, towering over me were seemingly vicious upperclassmen bumping into me left and right in attempts to squeeze their way to the front of the line to pay. Adrenaline rushed through my blood, icy cold in my wrists, my hands began to tremble as I set down my tray on the counter. It was almost done, all I had to do was pay and then I would be able to leave and eat in peace. However, it didn’t happen that way.
“You’re 25 cents short.” The lunch lady’s words rang in my head as I stood there, dazed and thinking, “You have GOT to be kidding me. Did I really not bring enough money??? These kids are going to beat me up for holding up the line like this!”
“Do you have a quarter? You’re 25 cents short,” the lunch lady reiterated as I held up the line of starving upperclassmen, ready to savagely attack me because I was keeping them from their friends out in the Savannah and their well-needed nourishment. Scared for what I was about to see, I looked back, certain I would be facing my death when, like a guardian angel, a tall girl in a Senior Girls shirt appeared and said, “I’ll pay for you.” She swiped her card under the reader and said “There you go!” with a bright and friendly smile.
Astonished and perplexed at this upperclassman’s kindness, I looked up and said “Thank you” with all sincerity and she responded saying, “Not a problem,” with a laugh. I stepped out of line and into the vast plain, relieved and ready to take on the rest of the day.
Unfortunately, these kind upperclassmen seem to be a rare species roaming the halls of Shawnee Mission South these days. So many freshmen come to High school with the notion that all of the other students hate them and enjoy picking on them but this is not always true. Most of these rude students only pick on freshman because they themselves were picked on at that age.
So as you have probably already guessed, there is a moral to this story of strange metaphors. As we Seniors can all remember, every Freshman has at least some anxiety about High school and making fun of them in the hallways sure isn’t going to to much good in the way their self esteem or of making our school look good. Even though I never saw that Senior girl again, she made an impression on me that still holds strong to this day.

By Davey Jackson