30 Minutes in the Library

Amanda Weaver

The South library at lunchtime.

Amanda Weaver, 21st Century Journalism

Aside from the the clicking of the door alarms at the library’s entrance every time someone enters or exits, and the muffled click-clack of computer keyboards, the school library at lunchtime is a relatively quiet place. Although lined with bookshelves with signs advertising ‘New Books,’ and ‘Books for Guys,’ no one in the library is looking for books or reading, aside from a teacher, who has finished grading papers and flips through a magazine as she oversees two of her students taking a test.

The room is filled with round tables surrounded by clusters of chairs, most of which are empty, aside from a girl who eats her lunch alone in the back corner of the room as she works silently on her computer, and a few students who sit at the charging stations, working quietly.

A table of students sit in the back of the room, on their computers in front of a large window, working together on a video. The group of students keeps a running commentary on everything they do, and their narration gets increasingly louder and more animated as time goes by. The bell rings to signal the start of lunch, and the students put together a hurried conclusion and shuffle out of the library.

One student walks into the library, making a beeline for the Apple Core table.

“I hate this computer,” she announces, clearly frustrated.

She leaves a few minutes later, all problems with her computer fixed. Minutes later, another student heads to Apple Core with a different problem, which the students work together to fix. The student rushes back to class, computer in hand, thanking the team of Apple Core students.

The door alarms signal her exit with their clicking, and the library goes back to silence.