The ‘Raptor’ is Loose

Photo by Lydia Thorn of SRO Richard Spandle

Lydia Thorn, 21st Century Journalism Reporter

The new school security system is installed, but it hasn’t been put to use yet. Student Resource Office Richard Spandle says that the cameras have been upgraded to an HD camera system and will also allow them to detect when doors have been propped open while school is in session.

The goal of this system is to give the school the same amount of safety as a business building would have.

“It does not prohibit them [parents/guardians] from coming up and visiting their children or participating in their children’s education, they have a right to be with their children, but we don’t all have a right to be involved with everyone else’s children,” Chief John Douglass, Shawnee Mission School Security Director, said.

The new system is ‘Raptor’. Raptor will allow the officers to be aware if any doors are left propped open during school hours. All the doors to the building automatically lock after 7:40 a.m.

The new cameras will be able to detect faces easier and the system will have an accurate list of who is in the building and when they leave and return. This system will be able to connect to the National Database of Sex Offenders, criminal records, and divorce decrees of custody in order to make sure that the student is going home safely and with the right legal guardian just by showing your ID to the scanner.

“It brings up a picture of them, but it could be with someone of a different name or appearance so you have to know who is really in front of you and their records not getting mixed up with someone else. Make sure it’s valid,” Security Resource Officer Richard Spandle said.

Entrance into the building will now be limited for teachers and staff also.

“Your job will determine when the card will allow you to get in the building,”  District Resource Officer Greg Merchant said.

Some students may feel safer with this new system, but some say they already felt safe here so there isn’t much of a change. Freshman Elena Thorn comes to Shawnee Mission South for a few hours in the middle of the school day for classes.

“I am not a great fan it [the new system] where the doors lock at 7:40,” she said. “I have to come to school earlier to make it to class on time and hope I can avoid traffic because I cannot go through the doors near my classes.”

The new security system also affects the office.

“It allows the office to have a slower traffic flow which is very nice. I’m all for it,” Receptionist Diane Johnson said.

Another new part of the technology system at South is the Bully Referral which has been installed into every Macbook Air the students received.

This allows any student to anonymously report bullying either to themselves or what they observe happening to others. The Bully Referral can also be used by students to report any suspicious activity they observe. By using this, students are able to protect themselves, their colleagues and the staff from danger even more effectively. The SRO’s get the information from the Bully Referral sent directly to them.

Even though the new security system hasn’t entirely been put to use yet, full use of the system isn’t too far around the corner.