TSA Editorial

In the eyes of The Patriot staff, the true controversy regarding airport security isn’t about the TSA body scanners, but is shifting to those operating them. Those who believe body scanners are humiliating and intrusive need to realize all citizens retain the right to opt out of going through them, and instead receive a pat down. We do not mind if a TSA agent sitting behind a screen, who probably won’t even see our real face, sees an x-ray of us, because the picture shown on the screen lacks any fine details and makes it very difficult to actually identify someone. Due to terrorist activity occurring since 2001, security features such as this have been implemented to ensure the safety of those who choose to fly. In our opinion, this is a necessary precaution, for national security is far more important than fretting over a minor thing like body scanners.

However, the many stories, ranging from a bladder cancer survivor’s external bladder being broken to having young children remove articles of clothing, are shocking and, in our opinion, raise major concern with the procedures carried out by the TSA. When incidents like these arise, the TSA is overstepping its boundaries and needs to modify its training program and develop standard procedures for special cases. Their attempts at covering up the indiscretions through means like the official TSA Twitter and Blogger Bob only add to the list of unprofessional and questionable methods they exercise. Releasing official statements on Twitter and a blog seems very unprofessional but posting them on TSA’s official website would definitely add to the credibility of the statements issued. So what it all comes down to is this, the TSA is doing a job that is a necessity during this era. With terrorism being a constant threat to our nation, any and all precautions must be taken. Although, when the TSA begins to display a lack of common sense and the professionalism required to work in positions of authority, the fundamental aspects of their actions must be taken into question.