the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

A New Beginning

Have you ever moved anywhere and it was completely different from where you came from? I have. I moved from a town called Gardner, to here. I lived in the country and I moved to the city. That was totally different or me.
In the country, you don’t have to worry about young kids playing in the roads and getting hit by a car. There are hardly any cars going past and all the roads are gravel or dirt. Also, you don’t have to worry about your neighbors being too close. You could go outside and spit without wondering if you hit someone. You would have to walk outside for five minutes or so to get to your closest neighbor’s yard. They were close, but not too close. Since there’s no cars or neighbors near by, it’s really quiet at night. Even in the day, it’s quiet. In the country, you can also see a lot more stars than you would in the city.
Everyone in the city is becoming way too dependant on electronics. City folks are getting hooked on the Internet and cell phones too much. Country folk use their heads and imagination for playing and use. City kids are tied up with Xbox and Wii more than anything else. Country kids will go outside and play with rope and sticks or play in the dirt. City folk care too much for Internet, T.V., and cell phones to pay attention to what is around them. Country folk really don’t care about any of that. We’re mostly interested in what is around us. City folk usually stay inside unless they have to get out. Country folk stay outside unless they have to go in. More people hang out together and outside in the country while the city people just sit around.

In the country, you see a lot more wildlife than you would see if you lived in the city. There’s quite a bit of animals that city folk probably haven’t even seen. Not many, if any at all, have seen a llama, sheep, goat, pheasant, quail, mongoose, duck, owl, bat, hummingbird, moles, tadpole, or coyotes. All of those I have seen and touched. City folk would not be able to say that. There’s also a lot that city folk haven’t done before either. Most city folk have never ridden or raced a horse, milked a cow and a goat, and gave a cow and a horse a bath with soap and everything. I have done all of that. I have also bred and sold dogs. Not many people can say that they’ve done any of that. you learn a lot living in the country. The grass is greener and the trees are taller in the country. Life is better in the country and it’s more fun. My old country life was totally different to my so called city life. You can take the girl out of the country, but you just can’t take the country out of the girl.