A Helping Hand

It’s easy to invest time in something that you’re passionate about, whether it’s participating in a sport or playing your favorite video game, but how many kids have passions that make a difference in the world? Community service and volunteer work are great ways to get involved in your community and help those less fortunate.
However, it seems today that for every reason there is to volunteer, many of us can find another reason not to. Whether it’s being too busy or simply not having the motivation, lending a helping hand seems to be on the back burner.Many incentives are offered to those who serve their community, whether it be NHS hours or the lessening of a jail sentence, however the people who accept these incentives often stop volunteering when they’ve reached their goal.

If people volunteer to help with causes they are passionate about, they would be able to enjoy themselves while they do their part in the community. Stories like that of sophomore Sammi Harstad, who volunteers at Cedar Cove, a safe-haven for felines,  are great examples of how young people can contribute.

Whether it be world issues or issues close to home, the only way to solve them is for each of us to contribute little by little. Involvement in clubs such as STAND or Coalition are a few ways that teens at South can do their part.

Clubs like these raise awareness for social issues, but for those who really don’t have time, donating money to a meaningful cause is a great way to contribute to society.

Even if the contributions you make only affect the lives a few people, imagine how many lives we can change if we all step up and work to make a difference.