the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Lil Wayne: The Carter IV

[Rating:4/5]

Tha Carter IV is Lil’ Wayne’s highly anticipated ninth studio album, and although his flow is still incredible, it just doesn’t live up to the hype.

Weezy released the disappointing Rebirth in 2010, before his prison sentence of eight months for being convicted of criminal possession of a weapon. After his release in November, many thought he would have a numerous amount of one-liners and rhymes. Unfortunately the release of the album dashed expectations. To make up for it, the first single released on the previous album, 6 Foot 7 Foot, is what Wayne is all about: fast beats and fast rhymes.

Now however, most of the songs on Tha Carter IV are sub par, sloppy, and casual. But the highlights exceed the downfalls, from “John,” to “Blunt Blowin,” to Andre 3000 in “Interlude.” The best song on the album is “She Will,” featuring fellow Cash Money artist Drake.

Tha Carter IV has more songs about death than about guns or money. This is not usually Wayne’s style, but it works in some songs including “She Will.”

The most disappointing song on the album is “How to Love.” Wayne tries to go too soft, and ends up being dull. The song has potential, but it he failed to pull it off.

But even in some bad songs Wayne is still unique, perfectly demonstrated when he calls out Jay-Z, saying he will kidnap Beyonce and sell her for ransom in “It’s Good.”

The mixtape which was released right before Tha Carter IV, “Sorry 4 the Wait,” is a great addition to the album, no apologies needed Weezy. “Sorry 4 the Wait” contains several smooth, fast tracks. Both albums are fairly decent, but still do not surpass past albums. Though not as ground-breaking as Tha Carter III, he still shows his unique style, and manages to put out a good album.

By Griffin Zeller