Lesser Known, Largely Active

Supporting a cause you believe in is hard, especially if there are few others who believe in it too.

Members of clubs such as Robotics, Show-me-South and Club 121, wish that more students were active in their cause.

“Even though we are a Christian organization we are totally open to anybody that has questions or is more curious about it,” junior Austin Lovelace, co-leader of Club 121 said.

Club 121 co-sponsor Amy Anderson said that it’s a place for students of all religions to come support each other in their faith.

“It’s for Christians who want to come and encourage each other,” Anderson said, “but also it’s open to people who are not Christian to come and ask questions or just find a friendly place to be.”

Club 121’s doors are open every Wednesday afternoon after school for any interested students.

“School is one of the biggest spiritual battlegrounds that people come across,” junior Jackie Garba said.

She feels lucky that her friends in Club 121 encourage her in her faith.

“We can just totally trust each other and share what we’re feeling as Christians that God has led us,” Lovelace said.

Each meeting, Club 121 starts with prayer requests, then worship.

“We will have somebody play music for us,” Garba explained. “Sometimes we go to the band room and play the piano and we all sing.”

After, the club discusses teachings from the Bible and if time is left, plays a game. And of course they pray multiple times.

New this year, Club 121 is planning on doing outreaches in the community like visiting the nursing home across the street, Park MEadows Senior Living, or going to the International House of Prayer, better known as IHOP.

“I’m very proud of my students for their boldness and sharing their faith which is hard to do,” Anderson said. “I think it’s hard for anyone to be committed to their faith in our society.”

Robotics enthusiasts are also having difficulties finding support for their interests in a district that is “trying to sweep them under the rug” as junior Sid Spry believes.

“Every year there’s an entry fee to the competition of $5,000 and if we happen to win we’ll be able to go on to nationals, there’s another $5,000 for that. There’s a lot of other teams who go out and compete three of four times a year, but that would cost extra money,” Spry said.

Robotics co-sponsor Arthur Wells thinks Raider Revolution Robotics is a great opportunity for students to develop a passion for technology, despite being hard- pressed to raise money.

“They get a chance to actually take those things they learn in class and use them,” Wells said.

Spry said it’s a unique opportunity that other students don’t get the chance to experience.

“They [students] need to see what a competition is to see how much fun it is. There’s a lot work involved, but it’s a lot of fun,” Wells said.

Both Spry and Wells believe that their hard work pays off during their competitions and fundraising.

“Most of the year it’s pretty laid back. But after we receive the challenge then it’s pretty intense,” Spry said. The club competes in the Cowtown Throw Down in

November, regionals and possibly nationals. “It would really cool if other kids from school showed up, cheering and yelling and everything. It’s a sport; it just happens to be an academic sport,” Wells said.

Show-Me-South Club also is in need of enthusiastic, outgoing people. The club is in charge of making new South students feel welcomed and familiar with the school.

“It’s difficult to be a new student at any age group at any level, and that’s our primary focus,” co-sponsor David Mesh said.

The club works together for major events such as Show-Me-South night and the New Student Luncheon to make all new students feel welcome.

“We’re more of an actual group that’s going to meet and have fun together. Not just a welcoming group with random people,” co-president Natalie Hendricks said.

Hendricks and Mesh agree that the club is a place for fun, outgoing people willing to meet new students. There are no requirements to join, just to enjoy meeting and talking to new people.

“I just think that Show-Me-South is a good representative of this community,” Mesh said. “You don’t have to be in Show-Me-South to make somebody new feel welcome.”

Mesh is always impressed by Show-Me-South members’ ability to be open and friendly.

“Anytime you see people showing care and understanding for somebody else, it reminds you that whatever your own personal little trouble might be, or difficulties that particular day, that the important path in life is how we treat each other,” Mesh said.

It’s a large responsibility to be the first ones that new students meet and interact with, but the kids in Show- Me-South feel prepared to deal with whatever comes their way.