the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Real Steel

Real+Steel

Shawn Levy’s Real Steel is the rare combination of fantastic CGI [computer-generated images] and a story that everyone will enjoy. Real Steel is set in the near future where human boxing has become obsolete and has been replaced by robots fighting it out in the ring. Charlie Kenton [Hugh Jackman] , is a struggling promoter that cannot seem to get a lucky break. The death of an estranged ex-girlfriend suddenly gives Kent custody of a son, Max [Dakota Goyo], whom he knows nothing about. The two reluctantly team up and attempt to build a championship contender with an old and battered robot.

Jackman’s performance made this movie; if it wasn’t for him, Real Steel wouldn’t even have made it to theaters. Usually known for his roles in action-packed movies where his claws are inserted into another’s face, Real Steel provides an opportunity to witness Jackman’s acting abilities. Unfortunately, his supporting cast seemed to be a bunch of actors and actresses experiencing their first time in the spotlight. All in all the performances were pretty impressive for so many novices. With only one well- known celebrity, the overall acting wasn’t too shabby.

The expectations for Real Steel were stunning CGI and a plot that was visible from a mile away. The standards were lived up to, and although predictable, the story was still one that was enjoyable and left the audience wishing for more. The graphics were impressive for any regular movie. Compared to other giant-robot-themed movies such as Transformers, the graphics were not nearly as good, but still left everyone in the crowd saying “wow.” With a good story, commendable acting, and superb graphics Real Steel has a little something for everyone.