Rodney Atkins: Take a Back Road

October 4 was a special date for country music star Rodney Atkins as he released Take a Back Road. This, his fourth

album, yields his sixth No. 1 single (the title track). From the start of the album, Atkins’ sincere and wholesome voice guides the tracks in an attempt to convey his message of what is important in life: love, God and family. Atkins comes off as an everyday guy which is a comforting change of pace from the traditionally country-pop sounds of Lady Antebellum and Sug- arland.

The songs are full of authentic emotion which is a definite plus. The song “Growing Up Like That” depicts typical country themes in different ways without blatantly stating that the country is better than the city. “Family” is a tune that shows a strong resemblance to the work of George Strait or Trace Adkins since the song is written about family and the importance of community. Although the album lacks variety throughout the tracks, the overall message is positive and uplifting which is appealing to audience.

Atkins’ sincerity throughout the album does not falter. It seems as though the 42 year old is finally in his prime. His last album “If You’re Going Through Hell” went platinum with four No. 1 singles leading fans to believe it would be difficult for him to produce a comparable follow-up. Yet the release of the single “Take a Back Road” jumped up the charts, becoming the fastest rising single of Atkins’ career to date. Although the album is not monumental or ground breaking, it is clear that

Rodney Atkins is finally receiving the credit he deserves for putting out a great album. The spotlight is finally shining on him, even while he’s driving down a back road.