the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Joe Jonas: Fast Life

As a shameless Jonas Brothers fan since 2006, no one knows better than I that Joe Jonas and Lil Wayne do not go together. This fact was proven by the quite disconcerting “Parental Advisory” sticker on the front of 22-year-old Jonas’ solo album Fastlife. A remix of the song “Just in Love” featuring Lil Wayne left fans speechless and covering their ears to avoid hearing any inappropriate words. While the remix was a bit surprising, it wasn’t all that unexpected after hearing the other tracks on the album. The songs aren’t exactly brilliantly written, and most of them are obviously intended for clubs or repeated play on the radio, but it’s time to face it: I will (unfortunately) never see the day when a Jonas song is played on the radio and taken seriously. And let’s just be honest, you cannot hear a Jonas Brother ask you what you’re drinking and keep a straight face, even if it’s in lyrical form.

The album is a complete turn around from any Jonas Brothers album and not even comparable with the solo album of little brother, Nick Jonas, which had a serious tone. On the contrary, Fastlife sounds more like something to expect from Enrique Iglesias: pointless lyrics and a bass-filled underlying tune. Beside the constant repeating of the title of each track, the songs are hardly decipherable from one another.

There’s a difference between maturing in music and changing genres to stay popular. If I had to choose between this album and the 2007 Jonas Brothers album, I’d be playing Year 3000 every time. And as much as I love Joe, this album kind of makes me want to weep for humanity.