the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Florence + The Machine: Ceremonials

After two years of anticipation, the sophomore album from Florence + The Machine Ceremonials was released in the United Kingdom on October 31st  and in the US the following day. Lungs, the band’s first release in 2009 left listeners speechless and ready for more, and Ceremonials did not disappoint.

The album opens on a strong note with “Only if for a Night,” a catchy and brilliantly performed ballad, the lyrics from which the album found its name. The track is followed by “Shake it Out” and “What The Water Gave Me,” both pre-released singles that show off Florence Welch’s perfectly tuned pipes. Welch’s voice is an instrument all its own, a fact proven by the three acoustic tracks closing the deluxe edition of the album, not to mention the live performances found on YouTube.

The album continues with “Never Let Me Go,” a song that can only be described as having been played in my head for years without my knowledge. There’s something familiar about the tune.

The only thing that seems to be missing on this album is the continuity and flow between tracks. “Breaking Down” and “Lover to Lover,” both seem oddly out of place compared to the rest of the songs. They both have a happy-go-lucky vibe with  staccato melody while the rest of the album flows smoothly and has a more subdued tone.

“No Light, No Light”, “Heartlines”, “Strangeness and Charm”, and “Bedroom Hymns” can be summed up as tracks that make you feel epic. While these tracks aren’t exactly upbeat, they still lighten your mood and make you want to sing. “Seven Devils”, on the other hand, has a creepy tone, not only because of  its name, but also The Twilight Zone-esqe melody repeated in the background.

“Shake it Out” can compare to 2009’s “Dog Days Are Over” so easily that it’s hard to decipher which is better. While “Dog Days” can be contributed as the one song that launched Florence + The Machine to success, “Shake It Out” is a great follow-up. Lungs is a hard enough album to follow, but Ceremonials does so perfectly.