the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Craig Morgan: This Ole Boy

Craig Morgan is showing no signs of slowing down at age 47. His seventh release, This Ole Boy, has lived up to the expectations that he would put out a “feel good” album, depicting himself as the “regular guy” that he is. The album is filled with nostalgic tracks that bring out memories of the “good ole days.”

The title track “This Ole Boy” has become a fixture on radio stations, and for good reason. Morgan sets the tone for this album by showing things through his point of view, the point of view of your everyday, down-to-earth country boy.

Tracks such as “The Whole World Needs A Kitchen” and “Fish Weren’t Biting” exemplify the simple life at its best by describing home-cooked meals and fishing on a quiet lake. Through uncomplicated songs like these, Morgan tells a story that rivals top country stars.

Unfortunately, this album is not perfect. It spirals out of control on tracks such as “Corn Star”, (I hope that you can see the innuendo there) and “Show Me Your Tattoo”, which is a well written song but sounds a bit awkward coming from the 47 year old’s mouth. Although Morgan’s voice is extremely versatile and wholesome, it may have been a better idea to sell the rights to the likes of younger singers, such as Luke Bryan or Chase Rice.

As with all country albums, a slow romantic song is a must have, so Morgan fills the bill with “Love Loves A Long Night.” This is perhaps his most impressive vocal display to date. Morgan displays his ability to sing not just up-tempo summer anthems, but slowed down ballads as well.

Overall, This Ole Boy is an incredibly likeable album that is easy to listen to. Bits and pieces of Morgan’s life are infused into the tracks which adds to the sincerity that this album possesses. I can honestly say that this is one of the strongest country releases in the last 12 months. Expect this album to become a smash hit and a staple of local country stations. I hope that Craig Morgan’s tour runs through Kansas City, as I will definitely buy a ticket to see him.