College Football Top Four

There has been a lot of talk in the college football world about who the best team in the nation is. The Crimson Tide have the strongest argument towards the number one ranking, considering they were last years national champs, and have 13 returning starters, seven of which are on offense. The Trojans of USC have a dynamic offense led by Heisman Candidate Matt Barkley. Both LSU and Florida State feature a tough defense, and exceptional coaching. Take a look at my Top 4 teams, as I explain why each team has a shot at the national title.

Alabama Crimson Tide

After a 41-14 rout of the Michigan Wolverines, the Crimson Tide have proven themselves as an elite team. Many experts picked Michigan to pull off the upset, but they were quickly proven wrong when ‘Bama leapt out to a controlling 21-0 lead in the first quarter, and never let up. AJ McCarron threw for two touchdowns, and racked up 199 passing yards in the win. TJ Yeldon stole the show in their home opener, the true freshman ran for over 100 yards, averaging more than 10 yards per carry. At this point in the season, Alabama is my favorite to win the national championship, but their Week 3 matchup against Arkansas will be a good test of how powerful their team is against another SEC powerhouse.

USC

Even though the Trojans are a Pac 10 team, they have the offensive ability to compete against the larger, stronger SEC teams. Their November 3rd game against Oregon will be the most challenging team they face, and a good indicator of how their defense will play against powerhouse teams. They have many returning starters on offense, including Heisman hopeful Matt Barkley. The only question is their defense. In week two, they gave up 29 points to an unranked Syracuse team, which may be a problem in their week three matchup against 21st ranked Stanford.

LSU

Before the dismissal of Tyrann Mathieu, the Tigers were my pick to win the National Championship. They had everything you look for in a high caliber team, including an explosive offense, a hard nosed defense, and a game changing special teams group. WIthout Mathieu, LSU loses a key defensive player, and the best punt returner in the league. They are still one of the best teams in college football, but they have lost their edge against Alabama. If USC and Oregon both lose this season, it is possible that we could see another low scoring match up between ‘Bama and LSU in the national title game.

Florida State

The Seminoles are the closest thing to an LSU style team that doesn’t play in the SEC. They have shown that they can score with ease, putting up at least 50 points in their first three games and haven’t had an issue stopping other teams. In the first three games, Florida State has only allowed a total of three points. In the back field, they have a two headed monster, with running backs Chris Thompson and James Wilder Jr. The only problem is their weak schedule. They are sure to have a good record, but if they make a BCS Bowl game, they will be most challenged with an SEC or Big 12 opponent.