One New Message: Put Down Your Phone

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]n today’s world of technological wonders, nearly everything is more convenient and cutting-edge. With the benefits technology presents, it may be difficult to understand the downside. But if you look deeply, you can find technology often causes more issues than it solves. Whether it’s as complex as the development of nuclear weapons in the 1940s, or as simple as the creation of Twitter in 2006, we have always been focused on advancement.

Our living conditions have certainly improved from those of our ancestors, but recently we have been consumed by technology, allowing it to take over our lives. Albert Einstein once said, “I fear the day when technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots.” Looking around, I see that he was right, the growth of technology has certainly taken its toll on society.

Since the creation of the first computer, in 1936, they have worked their way into our lives. First, as a luxury. Now, they are a necessity. Phones and TV’s are now computers too, and even space, which was once a fantasy, is home to thousands of satellites. Asking people to survive without their phone, is like asking a fish to survive without water. I’ve noticed that even some of my friends can’t have fun without posting their experiences on Twitter and Instagram. It’s like, “Hey, pause for a minute so I can take some pictures of this awesome time were having!” instead of just enjoying it. Our generation compulsively checks Twitter, and turns to our phones or video games when boredom strikes. Instead of reading a book, we turn on Family Guy or Call of Duty. None of these thing are bad, I watch Family Guy too. The problem is that we have become too reliant on them. Technology is a tool for us to use in moderation, not a crutch for us to become dependent on. It’s alarming when you sit down for lunch and everybody at the table is busy using their phones, barely looking up long enough to eat.

With phones and social media advancing at such a rapid pace, I’m curious to see what the future of technology holds. Will we live in a world of Tony Stark hologram technology, or will we take it even farther?  Will we develop tighter restrictions on what technology can do? Soon enough we may never have to leave the couch. But is that what you really want? Since the 1950’s, there has been a rise in depression and anxiety, which experts believe is caused by a more complex and stressful world that we live in. You might dread putting down your phone, but go without it for a day and you’ll find you have far less to worry about.
Our technology may be advancing at an extraordinary rate, but our mental health and happiness is digressing. So the question is, are we really progressing at all?