Generation Morals

Respect your elders, hold open doors, and most of all follow the Golden Rule. Before we leave kindergarten these morals are instilled in us. Talking to any elderly a teenager will probably hear the common phrase “When I was your age we respected each other and listened to our parents.” What has changed in the new times? Are we as a teenage population more of just little jerks and tools or are we the same people but our society has changed to a softer side. Is there a difference in keeping it real or just acting unnecessarily rude. Many people feel that being uncensored or blunt comes with added insults and judgmental views available to share with the world and we can hide behind the title of being of honest. Men no longer feel it necessary to take part in the old rules of chivalry while women view it as ideal to act like a young harlot instead of a young lady. More people claim that they don’t care about what others think but acting civilized isn’t something that should be thrown in the I don’t care category. A fact that is almost impossible to deny is that our morals as a generation has evaporated along with the rules that we believed to be set in stone when we still were in our youth. .

I don’t know if this is just me coming from black culture or just being raised with common sense, but you simply do not talk back to adults. And if you did you could could expect a belt to make contact with your skin in about 4 to 5 seconds. Not too long ago sitting in chemistry class, an average young Johnson County girl was complaining on how stupid her mother was and how she hated her guts. The reason behind such an outburst, her mother offered to bring her laptop to school so she continue where she left off from home and not have to do any extra work. Examples such as these show how many students are not grateful for what they have in life, such as a loving mother who cares enough to take time out of her day to invest into her daughter. Why do children feel that parents are out to get them? I agree that sometimes parents make unreasonable demands and set standards that are ridiculous, but does it ever set the precedent that allows us to scream back and exclaim how much we hate them, even though they are the reason for bringing us into this world. Maybe since teachers in Kansas lost the ability to discipline students by paddle, we have decided it is ok to ignore everything they have to say. Speaking from experience sometimes you just don’t feel like dealing with a certain instructor so you ignore them and refuse to cooperate with their rules. Is that ok, probably not but back in the day behavior like that was never allowed nor accepted.

Treatment of others in everyday life has fallen to subpar behavior. According to New York daily news 1 out of 12 students has seriously considered suicide and 1 of 6 have attempted it. Twenty percent of students has been bullied, the highest ever in the history of America. Bullying is reaching a new time high and it is being widely spread. Students can not express themselves without the worries of what classmates will think. Life in High School has now become more unsafe, not only for the physical aspect but the mental as well.

Another different step that society is taking would be the difference of how men and women treat each other. It has always been expected for the male to pay for the date but in todays world women are expected to contribute to the bill. With me personally the girl better at least act like she planned on paying for herself before we can go any farther for the night. It is 2013 women are equal now in almost every way. Is that a lost of morals or is that our way of life evolving from old ways that our grandparents followed.