the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Fable III

[Rating:4.5/5]

By Steven Smith

Anyone who knows the Fable series, from its humble beginnings of an unknown franchise; to one of the most diverse games on the market today, and anyone who knows Peter Molyneux. Then you know that he aims for the top of the mountain, or an oak tree, but never hits it. Well, he got close this time.

After Fable II, your character (if you had one) decided to settle all of the strife and conflict and put Albion under the Character’s rule, upon his/her death, control is handed over to your brother, leaving you with seemingly nothing.

Fable III is by far one of Molyneux’s most ingenious games. The music is enchanting and the graphics are smooth. You actually have a voice, yet sadly you don’t get to pick it, so you have to sound like a noble brat. The king, your brother, is demanding that you choose three people who you have never met and possibly will never meet again over your childhood friend/sweetheart.

That’s right, Molyneux isn’t pulling any punches in this game. After a tutorial you are given a chance to use your new voice and make a few seemingly inconsequential choices. Apparently King Logain, who ruled fairly at first, went crazy with power. After that you will be sent to your room to await either imprisonment, or execution.

Peter Molyneux said in a preview that they were going to get rid of the menus to give it a more life-like feel. That was an understatement; they did indeed take out the menus. There is no more expression wheel. Everything has been given a button, a single button, meaning no more endless supply of food.

Combat is smooth. You can go from slashing a guy on your right, to shooting a guy in his face on your left, though you can no longer collect Experience. You have to power him up, which is a major part of the story. Switching between Magic, Melee, and Ranged is a simple push of a button. You no longer have spells, but gauntlets, and your four original weapons change depending on how you use them.

Fable III is an interesting game, but it has an acquired taste. Molyneux often says that choice is one of his goals. He’s given you a wonderful chance to enjoy your actions. Its story is heart wrenching for the heartthrob out there. The weapon creation system is complex, with absolutely every thing you do factoring into it. The player can make a wicked looking sword of pure bloody slaughter, or one of the bright blue swords that you can use as a flashlight. It’s simple for the Role Playing Gamers out there, and the combat is both humorous, with the varying amount execution styles. You just have to love waging war on the Hobbes, and it’s easy with its one button press. The menus will be missed, and we certainly can’t forget the experience, but as life goes on so must we. I fully recommend this game for Fable fans, everyone else rent before you buy.