College to the Pros

Evan Howell, Staff Writer

Kansas colleges continuously streamline athletes through their programs to play at the professional level. University of Kansas has had the majority of their recent success on the court. A team that is unbelievably consistent year-to-year, as well as led by one of the greatest coaches in modern college basketball history. They have a “one and done” recruit nearly every season. Since the 2005-2006 KU has had 13 players who have gone to the NBA after only one season at the college level.

Recently, Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins have been playing at an elite level in the NBA; Embiid averages 18.2 points per game, and Andrew Wiggins is averaging just over 22 points per games; both of them played at KU in 2014.

Although the Jayhawks have only had scattered wins at football games, they have squeaked out a few high-level players who play a pretty decent role with their professional team. Aquib Talib, a KU alum, is a great example. He plays cornerback for the Denver Broncos, along with another KU alumni, Chris Harris Jr., who also plays cornerback for the Broncos. Both players played a major role in the Denver Broncos top-tier defense in Super Bowl 51.

Kansas State University has had quite a few players go through their football program and on to play in the NFL–Jordy Nelson, Tyler Lockett, and Darren Sproles,to name a few. The latter of whom attended Olathe North High School and graduated in 2000, and then went on to become K-State’s all-time leading rusher, an incredible feat. Jordy Nelson has been a top-tier receiver in the NFL as long as Aaron Rodgers is throwing the ball to him. Since the formation of the Big 12 (1996) K-State has sent 51 players to the NFL on draft day, and quite a few more as undrafted free agents.

Kansas will continue to have success as long as the recruitment programs remain so well-structured. Clearly, well-trained scouts have athletes interested in going to our schools. KU basketball is so consistently good that the name pretty much recruits for itself. Players want the opportunity to play a sport for a college that has had previous success.