Footloose Review

Lose your blues because Shawnee Mission South's production of Footloose was amazing.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Footloose Review

Cassandra Awad

Cassandra Awad

Cassandra Awad

The production of Footloose went from Wed. Oct. 18 to Sat. Oct. 2. Juniors Leah Lissauer and Marissa Lunetta were both leads, and their enthusiasm on stage captivated the audience. Lunetta’s graceful voice grabbed one’s attention and never let it go. Lunetta performed as “Rusty Rodriguez” in the production. Rusty is Ariel’s best friend and has a huge crush on Willard Hewitt, played by Brennan Lumpkin. Senior Brennan Lumpkin, who received the role of Willard Hewitt, fit the role perfectly; easily putting smiles on the audience’s faces. Lumpkin sang “Mama Says”, this included Willard singing about the many pieces of advice his mother gave him. Another extraordinary voice came from sophomore Jessica Fisher, who sang with unmatched maturity for her age. Fisher played the role of Vi Moore and sang solos such as “Learning to be Silent” and “Can You Find it in Your Heart.” The role of Vi Moore is the mother of Ariel Moore. Vi Moore was considered a lead in South’s production of “Footloose”. By far one of the audience’s favorite characters was Betty Blast played by Ruthie Hasenleder. When Hasenleder entered the stage on her skates she lit up the room with her witty comments. The props and set crew did an impeccable job with props as well as with the huge church structure. The church was used throughout the production, but was transformed into several locations. The signs hanging from the ceiling added color and character to the stage that enhanced the performance. The costume crew did an amazing job portraying the 80s vibe. Everyone’s hair was fluffy and held up with a scrunchie.