Computers a Distraction?

Many teachers believe computers are more of a distraction to students than a helpful tool…

Parrish Mock, Daniella Campos and Brynn Taylor, enjoy a funny video on Campos’ computer. With easy access to games, online television, and social media there are many options for students to distract themselves with.

Daniella Campos, Reporter

Computers are definitely a huge help when it comes to school work. During the day, I use my computer in almost every single class. If I don’t have my computer, I definitely miss out on schoolwork and I’m at a huge disadvantage. Most written work is done on our computers instead of by hand, which is also a huge benefit.

Typing essays and such on a Google Doc is a.) less time consuming than using paper  b.) helping the environment and  c.) easier to correct rough drafts/ misspelled words.

Another benefit to using computers is Google Classroom, which is incredibly helpful to me. I can find all of work and assignments in one place, and know what I need to do before my next class. Teachers post study guides and materials used in class so we can access them at home. If computers were seen as a distraction and were taken away, this benefit would be lost, and we would be required to use more paper, worsening our environment.

Teachers are concerned that students are using their computers in classes for purposes other than schoolwork, which could possibly be true, but if the computers were to be taken away the student will still find a way to distract themselves. Computers are just another outlet for students who wish to not pay attention not to pay attention. Students who don’t want to learn aren’t not learning because of computers, they’re not learning because they don’t want to.

Overall, computers are not the reason some students are getting distracted in class. Computers allow students to attain a deeper understanding and a much more substantial education than an education without computers.