In-State Versus Out-of-State

Kelly Johnston

Deciding what path to take after high school, and choosing where to go to college can be a hard choice. Students are often conflicted when they have to make the choice to go to a school close to home or far away. College adviser Jasmin Morgan often deals with this issue when recommending colleges for students to go to. Morgan went to an out-of-state school because it just fit with her objectives more so than schools in her home state of Illinois.

“College was actually at the time really expensive in illinois. I got a great financial package from Mizzou. I also wanted something different. I wanted a different experience growing up. I wanted a 360 to my urban experience and Mizzou was an opposite to that. Finances was one but trying something new was the second,” Morgan said.

Finances are a main factor in a student’s choice for college. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, on average, it costs $8,990 more for students to attend a college or university in a state where they are not a resident. Junior Emily Wells is choosing to go to Johnson County Community College for her first two years and Kansas University for her second two to study accounting.

“It is more financially able for me and living in Kansas is also a lot cheaper,” Wells said.

The price of living per state is also a factor to consider based on how much income you have. By living at home, the average student can expect to save around $10,000 a year in dorm fees.

“I’ll probably live at home for a little and move out when I am ready,” Wells said.

However, sometimes an out-of-state school will offer scholarships to cover the higher cost. Junior Christine Carter plans to go to Oklahoma University to dance.

“They offer a lot of scholarships to help out and I think I could get a dancing one,” Carter said.

Money is not the only leading factor. Classes and activities the school offers is also something Morgan considers for each student.

“Find something that you’re truly passionate about. Find classes that really fascinate you and things that really interest you,” Morgan said.

Out-of-state also means a new environment where people can push their comfort zone and learn about new things. This can be a positive thing for students like Carter.

“I would… get to experience a different part of the world. You don’t really venture out anywhere in Kansas. You get to see how it is different. [I] probably won’t know people and will have to make a ton of new friends though,” Carter said.

Some people find a new environment less than ideal. Comfort and familiarity is more important to students like Wells.

“Yeah but also [new places] get tiring pretty quickly and I need stability in my life,” Wells said.

Family and hobbies at home can be a deal breaker for why some do not wish to leave. Wells has a barn she has been going to for years and is currently half leasing a horse.

“I want to distance myself from my family and be independent, but also be able to see them whenever I want. I can also be close to horses,” Wells said.

Some people cannot wait to get away and have the freedom of living far from home.

“[I’ll miss my family] because it isn’t too far away, it is still fair enough that I can’t just visit to fun. But I would also like the independence that comes along with that,” Carter said.

When choosing a college, make sure to do your research, see what fits for you, and visit the campus.

“It is extremely important for a student to visit the school before they go. Going to the school being there walking the campus learning about the different programs and activities is vitally important to make the decisions. It may look pretty in pictures but is not when you get there,” Morgan said.

Sent by Christine Carter
Junior Christine Carter up front at her Pacesetters performance.
Sent by Emily Wells
Junior Emily Wells posing with Elsie.