Transitioning from High School to College

Kate Riley, 21st Century Journalism

Deciding where to go to college can be stressful. With student loans, deciding on a college and where to stay, it can be scary for a young person just coming out of high school. That is where college adviser Jasmine Morgan steps in.

“Most students don’t realize that there are thousands of schools out there that specialize in so many different subjects,” Morgan said.

Morgan helps seniors figure out what comes next after high school ends. While many students have no idea where they plan to go, Morgan helps open up their options with suggestions such as out-of-state schools, community college or going to work.

Many students are unaware of schools outside of Kansas State University and the University of Kansas.

“This is somewhere you can spend the next four years of your life so you should spend more than 15 minutes on [college applications],” Morgan said. 

“ACT scores are vital to college admissions. Schools base admissions on an ACT score.” Morgan said. The national average on the ACT is 21. Students who receive a score lower than the national average can often be scared away from applying for colleges. If a student has a 2.0 grade point average and a composite of 21 on the ACT, they are automatically guaranteed admission to any in-state Kansas school. This can often nudge students into staying in-state for school. In-state schools can also be cheaper for students with schools also being closer to home.

“I think it’s better for me to pay less at a two-year school for the same classes I’d pay more for at a four-year school,” junior Cynthia Flores said.

Community college is also significantly cheaper than a four-year university. Students can get their prerequisite classes for cheaper at a community college.

Students like junior Claire Simchuk however, would like to get the full four-year university experience.

“I visited Southern Utah University back in July and loved it. It’s my top college choice,” Simchuk said.

Simchuk plans on going to university and studying for a career she might like.

Students have different options for areas of study when it comes to college choices. Morgan can help students, especially those first to go to college in their family, prepare for college and she can be found in the counseling office. She is able to answer questions about finances, college choices, applications and any other questions regarding what comes after high school.