What Are KSMS Tryouts Like?

The in’s and out’s of tryouts and new 2018-19 staff members

As part of KSMS activities, senior Kameron Ozburn officiates the Rock Paper Scissors match.

Daniella, Reporter

KSMS is a  well known group around school which hosts tryouts for the next school year every fall and spring. This year there were 15 available spots open, which is pretty unusual. A good majority of people tried out during fall tryouts, and I was lucky enough to be one of the four people accepted for the next year’s staff.

For students interested in trying out- go for it. There are tryouts in the spring which you should definitely go to. It’s a simple process and you shouldn’t be nervous for them- you’re just “performing” in front of your peers.

One piece of advice I can give is that you should try to take Video Productions before you tryout. A lot of the techniques and vocab learned in that class helps not only your tryout process but will 0KSMS sounds kind of prestigious, or unattainable especially if you don’t see yourself as a videographer or someone interested in films. While that is a big part of KSMS, that’s not the only part. A big part of KSMS is having a lot of confidence in talking to large crowds of people, for example DJing at lunch.

At tryouts, there are three things you are tasked to do. You are given a topic, such as bowling, and you are asked to make a storyboard detailing what you would want the video to look like. Next, you perform a radio show, which you can prep before the tryouts. Usually there are around 5 songs you play during your radio show, and if you go to the meeting before tryouts (which you should), sponsor Travis Gatewood will hand out a sheet that gives you a guideline on how to make the radio show “script”. If you take the class beforehand, you will already know how to write a radio show script. Finally, you do a standup, which is basically just telling a story in front of a camera. You can prep beforehand but telling a story from the heart rather than memorizing makes for a much better show of your personality.

All in all, don’t stress too much about the tryouts. All you need to do is show your personality, and how well you can do what they’re asking, and that’s it! Keep in mind- they only have so many people they can let in, so don’t feel discouraged if your name doesn’t pop up on the list this year! There’s always next year!