Students take a stand

Students+make+posters+and+bring+flags+to+support+the+walkout.+%E2%80%9CThere+were+people+that+didn%27t+go+but+I+thought+the+people+that+did+end+up+going+was+a+good+turn+out%2C%E2%80%9D+sophomore+Taylor+Burns+said.+Senior+Brennen+Lumpkin+brought+a+peace+sign+flag+outside+to+support+the+cause.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students take a stand

Students make posters and bring flags to support the walkout. “There were people that didn't go but I thought the people that did end up going was a good turn out,” sophomore Taylor Burns said. Senior Brennen Lumpkin brought a peace sign flag outside to support the cause.

Emma Harding, Emma Harding

• At 10:35 a.m. April 20 students leave class to participate in a 17 minute walkout for the students who lost their lives in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shootings. At first sophomores Taylor Burns and Emily Lang went to Principal Todd Dain to talk about some kind of walkout.

• Sophomore Taylor Burns, junior Anna Burns, and senior Cora Selzer got together at Panera a couple of times before April 20 to plan. They also went to the counselors to plan the 17 minute walkout. The clock started for 17 minutes as students stood silent while it counted down to zero.

• Students form a peace sign on the football field to support victims of school shootings. Students had the choice to participate or not. “We could’ve done it on our own but we wanted to be inclusive to everyone that wanted to participate even if it was political or not,” sophomore Taylor Burns said.

• Students make posters and bring flags to support the walkout. “There were people that didn't go but I thought the people that did end up going was a good turn out,” sophomore Taylor Burns said. Senior Brennen Lumpkin brought a peace sign flag outside to support the cause.