Boys basketball starts season with a win

Evan Shibel, Writer

The boys basketball team started off their season with an incredible win 49-45 over Blue Valley West. The season tip off game was the epitome of what you want in high school basketball. It had two student sections packed full cheering their hearts out for their team. It had two teams playing for the full 32 minutes, all out giving everything they had for their teams and supporters. The game was a back and forth affair all game with neither team leading by more than six points at any one time. In the waning moments of the fourth quarter senior guard Jake Potthoff took over. With one minute and 12 seconds remaining Potthoff drove the lane scoring to put his team up two points, then down the floor he went to lockdown on defense. South did so with none other than Potthoff making an incredible block and then continuing on with a steal in the next possession to get the ball back for his team. He sealed the game with a layup on the other end, winning the game for your Raiders. Postgame I had a chance to speak with Coach McFall about the teams performance and he said that they had much to work on before their next game, including free throws and execution, but he was proud of his team for the amount of toughness and grit they showed in that game to pull out a victory in a tough environment and against a tough opponent.