State Qualified Swimmers

An update on the girls swim season.

Katie Hiebl, Reporter

The Shawnee Mission South girls swim team placed second overall at the tri-meet on Tuesday, April 2. The Lady Raiders swam against Olathe Northwest and Shawnee Mission West.

The Raiders earned 137.5 points losing to Olathe Northwest by only 10.5 points. Putting their record at 1-2. They won their first meet against Blue Valley Northwest but lost their second meet last Thursday against Lawrence High School.

When asked how she swam at the meet, senior Katie Horner said; “I did pretty good I got a PR (personal record) in the 400 free relay. I could have done better in my individual 100 free as well as my 50 free.”

Even though it’s still early in the season, some girls have qualified for state in individual events and relays including junior Lydia Kernen, sophomore Olivia Riley, senior Katie Horner, junior Parish Mock, sophomore Ella Buss, junior Sophia Lanan, and sophomore Sarah Ohlde.

“Honestly, I didn’t even know we had qualified for state when we got out. Being a junior and qualifying for state, I started swim my freshman year, so to progress that much in just a couple years was exciting, and really rewarding because I know I can push myself to do things. Going to a state competition has always been a dream of mine, so I’m excited. When Sophia told me I didn’t believe her.” said Parish Mock.

Divers Mia Musson and Ophelia Shapiro have also qualified for state. In Tuesday’s meet, Mia Musson placed second in diving earning the team 5 points towards their total score, followed by Eden Alderman in third place and scoring 4 points for the team.

“I actually dove really well. I have been working on my dives really hard in practice and I think it’s showing.  Especially Emma, our new dive coach, she is really helping.” said Eden Alderman.

The next meet is the varsity tri-meet on April 9th at 3:30 against Shawnee Mission Northwest and Lawrence Free State at Lawrence Free State.