Blood, Sweat, and Beers Tour

The Power and Light District was swamped with plaid shirts and cowboy boots as throngs of fans poured into the arena for Eric Church’s “Blood, Sweat, and Beers” tour.  The first opening performer was rising star Kip Moore, whose single “Somethin Bout a Truck,” took the radio by storm this summer and shot up to number one on the country charts.

There were no extravagant pyrotechnics display or opening Titantron montage as Moore took the stage, but what he lacked in extravagance he made up for in style.  Rocking skinny jeans, a v-neck, and a backwards red snapback, Moore blasted through his seven song set list with ease.  He kept the crowd interested throughout the set, noting that “If any of y’all have a girl in the crowd or are tryin’ to get on a girl in the crowd, this one’s for you” as he started playing “Hey Pretty Girl.”  I have been to many concerts, and I can honestly say that I have never seen a crowd as rowdy for the opening act.

Next up was Justin Moore (no relation) who sported one of the largest cowboy hats I have ever seen.  He opened up with the song appropriately titled “Guns”, saying that the government shouldn’t be able to take away our second amendment rights.  The crowd ate it up.  Moore’s set was cut and dry, redneck party anthems that one would have no problem raising their beer to.  One of the most memorable parts of the evening was before breaking into “If Heaven Wasn’t So Far Away.”  Moore told the story of how he lost his grandpa, his hero.  He said that he asks his fans to hold up their cellphones, illuminating the arena, every night he plays this song, in a tribute to his grandpa.  This was the most powerful part of the night.  Moore closed with two of his biggest hits; “I Could Kick Your Ass” and “Backwoods.”

The stage was set.  It was time to go to Church.  The house lights turned off as an eerie noise projected throughout the enclosure.  Suddenly the words “There’ll be fire on the mountain’ echoed through the speakers as Eric Church rose up through the stage.

Opening with “Country Music Jesus,” Church set the place on fire.  For a nice change of pace, Church broke into “Guys Like Me” and “Hell on the Heart,” softer songs showing the emotional side to country music’s latest outlaw.  Next was the tribute to Merle Haggard. “Pledge Allegiance to the Hag” brought the entire crowd to raise their glasses accompanying the chorus.  Beer, water, margaritas, all were thrown into the air in celebration.

The middle of his set was comprised of lesser known songs off of his most recent release, “Chief” and its predecessor “Carolina.”  By now, the crowd was running on pure adrenaline, eating up everything dished out by Church.  The fifteenth song of his list brought the most deafening ovation I have ever heard at a concert, as “Drink in My Hand” rang out.  Everyone sang along, children, grandparents, everyone was on board.  Country artists aren’t known for pyrotechnic displays, Church must have known that the crowd would not expect the three flash-pots towards the end of the song.  Trust me, not a single person in attendance was ready for that.

Church extended the outro to the song and proclaimed to the crowd that he was giving us 100 percent and that with our help, we could “burn this son-of-a-***** to the ground.”  I still get goosebumps just thinking about that moment.  The next song, “Lotta Boot Left to Fill” defines Church to a “T.”  He frankly doesn’t care about what anyone thinks about him, and he made that a perfectly known fact.  Following up with “A Country Boy Can Survive,” Church paid homage to Hank Williams Jr, a country music legend.

The last song of his set is my personal favorite, “Homeboy.”  The crowd was waiting for this song the whole night.  As Church left the stage, the house-lights stayed off, as most knew there would be an encore.  The opening riff to “Smoke a Little Smoke” slowly bellowed through the arena which was slowly becoming engulfed in smoke and fog, a classy move by Mr. Church.  I don’t feel the need to explain the meaning of this song, heck, half of Church’s merchandise carries a leaf.  Trust me people, he is not a Toronto Maple Leaf’s fan.

Next was “These Boots,” a song I have never heard before.  Almost everyone in the arena ripped off one of their cowboy boots and held them up in the air.  And finally, “Springsteen” was played, with a nifty piano intro by Church.  The meaning to the song is one specific song eliciting memories from one’s past.  What is ironic is that when I hear that song, memories of that night and other moments are thrown through my mind like the trash that lies in the back of my truck.

Church rocked, enough said.  I want to make one final note: Eric Church is not only an incredible singer, but he knows how to work a crowd.  His stage antics are different from those of any other frontman I have ever seen.  Church doesn’t run around much, due to the fact that he plays an acoustic guitar, but his demeanor in almost indescribable.  He growls, yells, thumps his chest, and just acts like an animal up there.  Look up any video from a concert, he is a unique presence.  This was the most incredible concert I have ever been to.  Eric Church truly is, the “country music Jesus.”