Homecoming week wraps-up

Queen Nia Madison and King Brock Hanson were crowned before the Homecoming football game.

Hannah Hollander

After a week of days full of dressing up, showing spirit and nightly activities, the student body gathered together to honor the students nominated for Homecoming court. The Homecoming assembly gave students a chance to once more recognize the athletes participating in fall sports, as well as see the merits of the Homecoming nominees. Voting for Homecoming royalty then took place during lunches.

The Homecoming game took place Friday night. Due to the high chance of rain, Homecoming royalty was announced before the game. Senior Nia Madison was crowned homecoming queen with senior Kelly O’Connor as her first attendant and senior Lily Johnson as her second. Senior Brock Hanson was crowned king, with senior Nico Caruso as first attendant and senior Rasheed Brady as second.

South played Shawnee Mission East. The Raiders started off behind, but soon caught up. The score was tied 21-21 and the game went into overtime. However, the Raiders lost with a final score of 21-27.

A tragedy recently struck Shawnee Mission West, when senior and football player Andre Maloney died Thursday night. To show support, South changed the theme of the game to black and gold. Both South and East had signs and T-shirts also showing their support.

“I think it was amazing how we all came together to support West at their time of need,” senior Sophie Tapko said.

The Homecoming game provided one more night of fun before the Homecoming Dance. The dance took place in the school cafeteria Saturday night. Students enjoyed the “Under the Sea” themed dance that the student council worked to set up.