Heart of America Shakespeare Festival Poster Contest

Rose Pollina’s contest entry.

Students in Jennifer Hudson’s fall Digital Media class have for the most part put their final touches on their Shakespeare Festival poster contest entries. The students who are a little behind have no real need to hurry because the entries are not due until March 7, 2014.

The Poster designs are a class requirement and the spring Digital Media class will also participate in the contest.

The poster contest is put together by the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival. They are presenting Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale as their production for the 2014 Festival. The Winter’s Tale features one of the most famous stage directions in history, the oft reproduced, [Exit, pursued by bear]. It is also famous for being one of the first plays to be in two parts. This is exemplified by the play taking part in winter and then summer.

The Winter’s Tale is about a king whose jealousy leads him to lose what is closest to him until he can set his greatest wrong right. And yes there is a prince, princess and murderous bear involved.

Last year’s poster contest was a smashing success for South. First, second and third place were won by South students. Tierra Meysenburg won first, Jenny Han second and Chase Allison Third.

June 17 to July 6 the play will take place at Southmoreland Park during the evenings. There is also a sonnet contest that students can participate in.