AcaDec Revs Up for a 15th State Championship

Kendall Barker, Staff Writer

In Bolsa Grande, California in 1968, a single educator, indoctrinated with the conviction that collaboration and competition bred academic success for every student, held the very first Academic Decathlon. Since then, the competition has become an annual nationwide event as high school students across the country have formed teams to send to compete. This year, South’s Academic Decathlon is hoping to win the State competition for the 15th year in a row.

Each competition is composed of a series of interviews, speeches, and tests covering a curriculum created by the United States Academic Decathlon. This year’s theme is New Alternatives in Energy: Ingenuity and Innovation.

In correspondence with the theme, participants of Academic Decathlon study science, literature, art, music, social science, art, and mathematics. Students use the knowledge they gain to take part in the Super Quiz, a team quiz covering all of these topics, as well as exams covering each subject. In addition, students must deliver a speech, write an essay, and answer several interview questions. The speech, essay, and interview do not necessarily have to be related to the theme of the year.

The national Academic Decathlon competition will be held in Garden Grove, California, from April 16th-18th. Each year, some teams outside of the United States are invited to compete in the national competition as well.

Each team is composed of nine students. Students are placed to compete in the “A,” or Honors category (3.75 – 4.00 GPA), “B” or Scholastic students (3.00 – 3.749 GPA), and “C or below” Varsity students (0.00 – 2.99 GPA). Three students per team are assigned to each level.

According to the official website of the Academic Decathlon, the competitions and curriculum will help students improve their test-taking skills as well as their critical thinking skills. Participating in Academic Decathlon is also reported to generally aid students with the ACT or the SAT.

Medals are awarded every year in every subject, and this year, South’s Academic Decathlon team is working as hard as ever to ensure that they will leave the state competition with an abundance of new medals to add to their collection as well as a spot at the national competition.