StuCo Kicks Off a Big Year

Student Council plans fun events for first semester.

Erin Gately

Members of STUCO collaborate during a meeting in the little theater.

Rachel Larberg, Staff Writer

With the school year in full swing, Student Council has their work cut out for them. With Homecoming week and the canned food drive in one month Stuco has exciting things coming up. Take a look:

• It’s a Grand Affair! Homecoming this year will be filled with flapper beads, fathers and a whole lot a great dance moves. With StuCo planning big in the decorations department, they have gone all out for the theme, The Roaring Twenties. Tickets are $20 each or 2 for $35 during Homecoming week in the cafeteria at lunch or $40 at the door. Bring your best pearls and dance moves and come out to Homecoming!
  • Can You do the CanCan? The Shawnee Mission Can food drive is November 1st. Mr. AmeriCAN is on Nov. 12, kicking off the month with biggest StuCo event of the year. Mr. AmeriCAN is where senior boys are nominated from clubs, sports or whatever they are involved in, then chosen blindly by teachers and from there must compete in a pageant. There are three categories the boys must compete in: formal wear, interview and talent. Admission is 10 cans or $5, and upon entering, attendees will receive a ticket with the chance to vote for Mr. AmeriCAN. They will give out awards within the three categories. To top it all off, there will be a choreographed dance by all the participants. Come have a laugh and support the canned food drive!
  • Make a Wish! The StuCo wish fairies are back in action granting wishes! With a new set up for the wish box, the wishes are much more exclusive than ever before. Every week at lunch the wish box is going to be located in the back of the cafeteria on Wednesdays during both lunches. Students are free to put in any wish they please, and at the end of the week, StuCo will draw from all the wishes and announce who the winners are of that month the last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday during the announcements.

To find out more and receive updates, follow Shawnee Mission South Student Council on Twitter and Instagram at @stuco_sms.