Skyward Grading System Soars

Rachel Larberg, Staff Writer

Students, teachers, and parents are all linked in. Skyward is the new and improved grading system that gives parents and students 24/7 access to their grades. It not only shows grades but it has everything from past grades to tardies and absences. Skyward has many exceptional aspects to the program but can be a burden as well.

Since students can access Skyward all the time, they have less room to make excuses. Students can see all their missing work, academic history, activities, and ene individual test scores. Being a student that plays golf in the fall and heavily involved in STudent Council, I miss a colossal amount of school. Skyward has provided the opportunity to check my grades at any time during the school day and even when I am not in school which has lead me to be more informed about which assignments I have turned in and which are missing. This has been an essential tool keeping me informed about not only my assignments but also where exactly I am with my grades. Skyward shows each assignment, how many points it was worth and the breakdown of the grade as a whole.

Although, with every blessing comes a curse. Skyward provides all theses great features but it also puts much more pressure on grades. With the 24/7 access to check your grades, there becomes a looming encumbrance to check grades on the daily. Along with that pressure, I know for myself, Skyward can also be very frustrating. If teachers are behind on entering grades it can be discouraging to know where your grade stands in a class.

All in all, Skyward has great features but also can fall short in the importance it take in a students life. Grades become more present in daily life but also add an imminent pressure to have better grades and to know where you stand. This program has helped assist teacher, parents, and students in many various forms and through that it was a smart choice by the district to implement.