Pacesetters Dance Their Way Through Competition Season

Varsity+Pacesetters+prepare+for+their+novelty+dance+during+their+competition+on+Saturday+Jan+17+at+Olathe+South.++

Amelia Holcomb

Varsity Pacesetters prepare for their novelty dance during their competition on Saturday Jan 17 at Olathe South.

Amelia Holcomb, Ads Editor

The lobby of Olathe South’s gym was a flurry of colors and dancers this Saturday for the 32nd Miss Kansas Drill Team Festival. Dancers from schools all over Kansas rushed about in their brightly colored costumes and dramatic makeup. The competition started Friday night with duet and solo dances, but South’s first team dance was the novelty dance Saturday morning. The theme of their dance was candy, so the varsity team held lollipops and wore purple leotards and pink tutus. Their hard work paid off when they won the technique and execution award for the candy novelty dance.

“I think the novelty dance is really fun because its a lot of energy and entertaining and it’s fun because we have props. We get to wear our tutus and everything is just fun and happy,” dancer Addie Nerstheimer said.

Varsity’s second dance of the day was their lyrical routine full of turns and fluid movements. The team’s costumes were also much different than the novelty dance’s; instead of bright tutus the team wore grey lace dresses that flowed with the soft music. For this dance, the dancers won the choreography award.

Following the novelty and lyrical dances varsity Pacesetters performed their hip hop and home routines. After a long day of dancing the awards for the days were announced, varsity Pacesetters winning five trophies including technique and execution, sweepstakes, shining star, choreography, and showmanship awards. This is just the beginning of competition season though, and the Pacesetters have another long day of dancing ahead of them this Saturday, Jan 24 in Lee Summit that Nerstheimer encourages students to come watch.

“It’s just fun, you know?…It’s good to support South and not many people come to this kind of stuff,” Nerstheimer said.