College Now vs. Advanced Placement

Avery Dorsey, Staff Writer

College Now and taking the Advanced Placements tests in May are both ways to save money, earn college credit and of course get a head start on college education while in high school. Both have their similarities but at the same time they’re slightly different on how you earn credits and the cost of each program.

College Now costs $91 for fall credits and $88 for spring credits. The grade you earn in the class transfers over and becomes the grade you receive on your college transcript. But not all universities take College Now. On JCCC’s website there is list of schools that accept College Now. So before taking College Now, think about what school’s accept it.

The major benefit of taking College Now is the completion of college credits while attending high school. Taking high school courses for College Now is like doing two for one. It saves valuable time as well as prepares students for college level courses. Lastly, College Now demonstrates initiative and seriousness towards college and it can also complete the general education course.

Taking the AP tests costs $91 per exam. The AP test is obviously a lot cheaper, but at the same time, the chances of getting a 3, 4, or 5 on a three hour exam over a difficult subject are unsure. Some colleges only give credit for certain scores, or none at all. Not all universities will give full credit for AP tests. They might allow students to surpass a general/introduction course or receive only partial credit but overall it depends on the university. The more selective and prestige schools will require high AP exam scores.

Earning a score high enough will save students on college tuition and will also push students closer and faster towards graduation and entering successful jobs. If the exam is a subject of a desired major, then it can allow students to jump past general classes and into courses best suited for student’s interests. Taking AP exams and scoring successfully can most importantly leave student’s college schedules free for a double major, extracurricular, electives, work, etc.

Choosing between College Now and taking the AP exam is up to the student, but both save time and money. The costs are definitely skewed, the AP exam being much cheaper, but the risk of getting a high score requires in depth and committed studying. College Now is a safe choice on the other hand as long as the student earns at least a “B.” At the same time it’s more expensive than the AP test, but still much cheaper than university courses. Doing both College Now and taking the AP test will ensure some kind of college credit regardless.