Veggie-Friendly

There are limited options for special diet students in the lunch room.

Veggie-Friendly

Kate Anderson, Writer

Being vegetarian or vegan is becoming more and more popular among teens these days.  Reasons for these dietary changes range from supporting the environment to just seeing it as a “trendy” thing to do.  It would make sense that lunch options at school would cater towards that growing lifestyle more.  But it seems as though meals at school are still not accomodating.  Yes, the majority of students at South do eat meat and dairy products, but I feel like there should be more than just a few options for our vegetable-loving friends.

Regular vegetarian-friendly options include yogurt with banana bread and cheese pizza.  Depending on the day, there can be different items available such as the beloved Italian dunkers or French toast sticks. Veggie burgers have been added to the menu which is a step in the right direction.  Vegetables are always available as a side as well as various fruits and potatoes.  I would like to see more meat substitutes that aren’t just various forms of baked cheese. There are many vegetarian meat substitutes on the market that make a great meal.

It is almost impossible to make an entire vegan meal at school.  Meat and dairy is an important part of a lot of students diets and there is little substitution for it.  The addition of a salad bar with various vegetables would be beneficial to a vegan diet.  Even some vegetarian substitutes can act as vegan food as well. If there is nothing new implemented in the coming years, bringing a lunch might be the best option.

Some changes need to come about if special diet options can be accommodated in the lunch.  There don’t need to be any drastic measures taken, but a salad bar and more meat substitutes would be helpful.