Before They Walk

Before They Walk

Regina Yan, Staff Writer

It’s four days after the finals. The seniors have been absent from school for nearly a week. The halls seem a little emptier, the building a little quieter. But this lull won’t last long because bright and early May 19, the school will bustle with senior students once again as they return for a final reception.

The Senior Recognition Ceremony is an annual tradition recognizing students the morning of their graduation. Seniors are honored for various awards accrued throughout their high school career. This year, 142 students will walk up on stage for various accomplishments.

“We recognize many awards for these seniors,” ceremony coordinator Debra O’Brien said. “We have special department awards from the teachers, National Merit, Governor’s Scholars, Heritage Royalty, Kansas state curriculum completion, four-year Honor Roll, Kansas ACT scholars, President’s Education Award and the Kansas State Scholar.”

This event also includes a continental breakfast buffet for the attendees. The ceremony, which takes place Tuesday May 19 in the auditorium, begins at 9:30 a.m., with the breakfast starting at 8:45 a.m.

“The cafeteria puts together the breakfast, and it’s a nice breakfast buffet for everyone to enjoy,” O’Brien said.

Seniors and parents are encouraged to attend this event, as it serves as a final group celebration before the students walk for graduation.

“The ceremony is typically invite only, but we really try to get as many of the seniors to attend,” O’Brien said. “Grandparents and relatives sometimes come along too, and it’s nice getting as many people at the ceremony as possible.”