Elise Peterson’s Final Note

Emily Wilkinson, Asst. Editor-in-Chief, Web Editor

After a lucrative three years at South, choir teacher Elise Peterson will not be returning to South next year and will instead transfer to Olathe South as head choral director.

“As I’ve told the kids yesterday, I’ve always put my career first. I’ve always gone where the jobs have taken me,” Peterson said. “I have two nieces that currently go to Olathe South. One is graduating, but the other will be there, and in a year away, my nephew will be there as a freshman. I thought it would be a really cool opportunity to be able to teach my niece and nephew.”

Though her time at South was brief, Peterson was adored by a large portion of the student body, and as a teacher to hundreds of these students, Peterson says that they taught her as much as she’s taught them.

“I’ve learned that all the kids at Shawnee Mission South have good hearts and are just very warm, friendly people,” Peterson said. “For example, we were over at another school, and I walk in the door and none of the kids spoke. Kids at Shawnee Mission South will stop and hold the door for you. They really care about each other.”

Peterson says she’ll miss her students’ kindness above all else.

“The best part of my job every day is my kiddos,” Peterson said. “When they asked me why I was hesitating on taking the Olathe South job, I said, ‘It’s because I love my kids.’ I love making music, but I also know that these kids have a lot of heart. Everyday they make each day a better place.”