Royals Wrap Up Victory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Royals Wrap Up Victory

Avery Dorsey, Staff Writer

After a dismal 2-8 home record last season against the Royal’s divisional rival, the Detroit Tigers, major changes needed to be done coming into this season. Going into this Friday night game the Royals were standing at a promising record of 16-7, matching up pretty evenly with the 15-9 Tigers.

Immediately the Royals took a demanding lead in the bottom of the first inning. With two outs on the board, Lorenzo Cain singled to left field followed by a routine bunt down the third base side by Hosmer. With the infield shift to the right, third base was unoccupied, moving runners to first and second base. After that all the puzzle pieces came into place as Kendrys Morales hit a shot down the right field line scoring two runs. Continuing with the late inning excitement Salvador Perez singled, scoring in Morales and capping off a three run inning on two outs.

The Royals sparked again in the third inning, taking their lead now to four. Kendrys Morales, with his great start to the year with 20 RBI’s, hit in Hosmer from second with a hit up the middle of the field. Timely hitting proved to be beneficial as the Royals took their 4-0 all the way into the eighth inning. Going into the eighth there was only a few miscues by the Royals with a few walks here and there but the underlying fact was the Royals had a combined no-hitter thus far. The no-hitter and no doubt win was suddenly put to scare.

Herrera came in for the Royals and was struggling with his consistency and location. Instantly the bases were loaded from a lead off walk and back-to-back singles. Before the game was about to slip away the Royals captured their first out of the inning on a slow grounder, changing the score to 4-1. The Tigers’s star Cabrera came up to bat and had a battle with Herrera, fouling off multiple fastballs to only strike out. Finishing strong, Herrera forced a fly ball out to left field to end the inning.

The Royals wrapped up the rest of the game easily, conquering the Tigers late surge in the eighth and shutting out the Tigers once and for all with Wade Davis in the ninth. After struggling against Detroit last year the Royals are off to a perfect record. This far into the season the Royals have the most wins and seem like a likely prospect to compete for the world series come October.