Storm Multiplies

On+Thursday%2C+Sept.+10++storms+have+passed+through+pelting+streets+and+homes.+At+the+front+of+the+school%2C+puddles+were+on+the+sidewalks+showing+how+much+it+rained+at+8+a.m.+that+morning.+photo+by+Trevor+Tolar+

Trevor Tolar

On Thursday, Sept. 10 storms have passed through pelting streets and homes. At the front of the school, puddles were on the sidewalks showing how much it rained at 8 a.m. that morning. photo by Trevor Tolar

Trevor Tolar, Heritage Reporter

A storm blew in the morning of Sept. 10 causing a ruckus while everyone was trying to sleep. A similar event happened on Thursday, Aug. 27.

Students coming to school found something odd the morning.

“I couldn’t see anything outside it was so dark and foggy” senior Maddie Rooney said.

Later that day the foreshadowing feeling crept up the backs of students, a heavy storm pelted Shawnee Mission South.

“There was lightning, and then a loud clap a split second before the power went out,” Rooney said.

Being the talk of the week the storm caused a minor blackout lasting around 30 seconds before having the lights back on.

“ You could hear all the groans from the third floor [from the student] when the lights came back on,” Receptionist Dian Johnson said.

Continuous rain flowed over South all day catching the eyes of every student and teacher.

“Why couldn’t a raccoon take one for the team, so I could have gone home.” Rooney said.

Last year students were released from school one day on finals week, because a raccoon got in a transformer and caused a power outage.

The storm left as quickly as it came.