Canned Food Drive 2015

Keeli Ward, Writer

This years canned food drive will start Oct. 30. Last year the school exceeded StuCo’s goal of collecting 10,000 cans by collecting 11,560 cans. This even beat the number of cans collected in 2013. Since students not only met the goal, but exceeded it, three students were allowed to throw food at last year’s StuCo President Rachel Larberg at an assembly. Some ways that cans were collected was by the Mr. AmeriCAN Pageant, the trick-or-treat for cans and the third hour classroom challenge.

The Mr. AmeriCAN pageant helped pull in way more cans than school would have collected by just simply asking students to bring cans to school. The trick-or-treat for cans also was a major contribution to collecting cans. Trick-or-treat for cans is where teams of students go around to neighborhoods where homeowners were asked to give out canned goods instead of candy. The third hour classroom challenge was a competition that all of the third hour classes had to see which classroom could collect the most cans.

A canned food drive sculpture contest was also held. This is where groups like International Club, Cheer, Choir and the dance team brought in cans and tried to make the best sculpture out of cans. Last year the JV Pacesetters  won the contest. The contest was held to try to get more students involved in the canned food drive and collect more cans. The contest brought in around a thousand cans.

Everyone should contribute to the canned food drive to help those in need who cant afford food. You will be helping others but you will also be helping your fellow students. StuCo is hoping to collect even more cans that last year, so start getting together cans of food to help contribute to the success of the canned food drive.